Sunday, December 13, 2009

This weekend at the boutique...

Besides being hung over for at least 30 min of working today at the boutique I recovered and was really quite productive, if you can believe it, but first...

I blame it all on Kate Lilienthal...for turning 30 and for us planning her birthday party for last night at Gasthof's in Minneapolis. Go Germany!!! Steins, accordions, ziggy zaggy hoi hoi hoi's, meterbratwurst and a combo of beer/hardwood floors/slippery shooties=you are all the devil!
Who am I kidding...we had a blast. Little miss Bean was a little better today since she woke up early, had aspirin, and went back to bed. I attempted a #2 combo (extremely out of the norm) at McDonalds with a Diet Coke and a hearty dose of chocolate cookies...and then took Ibuprofen when that didn't quite do the trick. But alas, I am alive...and as Sarah so eloquently stated on Facebook today "not in college anymore". Whoa.
Yeah, this is the kind of party it was. Yowsa. I picked up a card at the boutique from Maybe You Should Die...it really summed it all up:
Kate getting crowned...a really special moment for her.
OK, so back to our productivity... ;)
Sarah and I made at least 7-8 new headbands in the store today. Sundays are generally slow so we set up our craft table, plugged in our glue guns and ipod and got rollin'. We also had fun re-merchandising some of the tables within the boutique into color stories while we worked Saturday.

"Dasher" present headband with red grosgrain ribbon bows and a sparkle "sprig" in our red and magenta story.
Beard Day! display in our blue color story...featuring our "Babette" love-birdband and Maybe You Should Die's 'Happy Beard Day' card. I personally love the 'Someone in Minneapolis Loves Me' onesies on the left. Awwwww.


Gold and black table...featuring our birdband "Goldwing". Our sage green feather and tulle headband, "Gilda" with George Moskal's navy blue dress.



"Bumblebee" feather spray band.

"Lady" white birdband and "Sleigh Bells Ring" sparkle headband in the front window.


As noted in a previous post we sold 6 headbands yesterday...but we also had 2 headbands commissioned today. A couple girls who work at Saks next door came in and tried on several of our bird bands. We're going to put something together for them in a peacock style and in a plum/champagne combo. We'll have those ready by Friday...can't wait to make some new "biiiiird bands" (in the tune of "biiiird book...bird book".
The best part had to be when they were perusing the headbands and one of the girls said to her friend, "These totally remind me of Sex and the City!"... as I sat behind the counter just nodding thinking "You're reading my mind ladies...you are reading my mind". I told them that when I post a new birdband on Etsy it's usually followed by that exact quote from SATC: "I even wore a bird in my hair!" "Oh, I thought that was feathers?" "No, it was a bird." "Well it was pretty!"


New, new, new...

Meet "Pearl"...a mini hat box with flower inside...on a giant pink peony with mint colored headband, featured in our green color story.
Sarah and I have also used down time at the boutique to plan for Pea's & Bean's ('s's's) future. Ever seen that Orbitz commercial? "Hernandez's's's". Anyway, we decided to reach out to other local boutiques that offer consignment etc. for locally designed and handmade items. We emailed I Like You (could the name be any better?) today to see if they have any interest in carrying our headbands. It went so quickly, but the holiday boutique will be closing in a few short weeks. It was such great exposure for us to be in the store...and in the future only offering our headbands online doesn't seem like the best strategy.
This is Sarah intently researching our options. ;)

3 comments:

  1. definitely contact shoppe local!

    http://pinkshirtsandcarwrecks.blogspot.com/2009/10/shoppe-local.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome you guys - really impressive... my house has been struck with the "sickness" hence missing all the weekend festivites! hope you had a BLAST! so happy I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestion Ashlie...we are on it!

    Em...sorry about the "sickness". I hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete